Pages

Saturday, July 27, 2013

Bless the Lord, oh my soul!

Today started my last weekend here in Mexico City for the summer. I can't even believe those words as I type them. I got to spend the majority of the day with my oldest host brother, Leví, as we went to his university to get his schedule and finalize his enrollment. It was really fun for me to adventure out more into this city and see an area I hadn't seen before. We also spent a good amount of time talking about college in general and it got me thinking about a lot of things. Later tonight we also went on our last Visita (home visit) and as I was looking for some scripture to share, I came across Psalm 103 which just further emphasized what the Lord had been pressing on my heart.
If I have learned anything this summer it is this: to bless the Lord with all my soul at all times. There have been days (especially lately on crutches) when all I did was complain. There were days when all I wanted to do was sleep and rest and speak English. There were also days when I would cry in prayer at night because I was so overwhelmed by how badly the people of this city need the Lord in all the poverty, lost, brokenness, addictions, prostitution, idolizing, paganism, idleness, hurting and hopelessness here. There have been days when I just cried out to the Lord, "Where are you?!"
But tonight my heart is filled with joy. Because I am reminded of all the thousands of reasons I have to bless the Lord. With all my soul and all my being. I am reminded that as a cherished and treasured daughter of the King, I am completely provided for and left without wanting. His presence alone makes my soul rise in joy, singing praises to the heavens above. If I have nothing else in this world besides His saving grace, I have not a single reason to complain or withhold praise to the Lord. And I am not going to praise the Lord for blessing me more than my neighbor (not to say that I haven't been extremely humbled by this whole experience in a culture much more economically disadvantaged than what I have come from) but tonight I bless the Lord simply for who He is: kind, patient, merciful, caring, fierce, intentional, beautiful, joyful, constant, fearless, strong, wise, loving, endless, intimate, sweet, truthful, honorable, selfless, glorious, marvelous, zealous, protective, sovereign, generous, disciplining, gracious, sufficient, uplifting, comforting, quiet, faithful, and enough
.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless his holy name!
Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and forget not all his benefits,
who forgives all your iniquity,
who heals all your diseases,
who redeems your life from the pit,
who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy,
who satisfies you with good
so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.
The Lord works righteousness and justice for all who are oppressed.
He made known his ways to Moses,
his acts to the people of Israel.
The Lord is merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love.
He will not always chide,
nor will he keep his anger forever.
He does not deal with us according to our sins,
nor repay us according to our iniquities.
For as high as the heavens are above the earth,
so great is his steadfast love toward those who fear him;
as far as the east is from the west,
so far does he remove our transgressions from us.
As a father shows compassion to his children,
so the Lord shows compassion to those who fear him.
For he knows our frame;
he remembers that we are dust.
As for man, his days are like grass;
he flourishes like a flower of the field;
for the wind passes over it, and it is gone,
and its place knows it no more.
But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him,
and his righteousness to children's children,
to those who keep his covenant and remember to do his commandments.
The Lord has established his throne in the heavens,
and his kingdom rules over all.
Bless the Lord, O you his angels,
you mighty ones who do his word, obeying the voice of his word!
Bless the Lord, all his hosts,
his ministers, who do his will!
Bless the Lord, all his works,
in all places of his dominion.
Bless the Lord, O my soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment