Pages

Saturday, July 13, 2013

The Lord makes me lie down in green pastures

   In truth, I am being majorly humbled right now. The past few days on crutches and "bed-ridden" have been some of the hardest days for me so far. For many reasons. For one, the pain medicine knocks me out so I end up sleeping most of the day while my family works around the house helping out with chores and what not, which annoys me because I want to help so badly. I have to have people carry things for me, and at times I feel like it is a burden which makes me feel so guilty. I also can't even carry my own bottle of coke across the room which is frustrating. I really am so stubborn, so being told "no" is always a hard lesson for me. Physically I am so weak, as I am learning that using crutches is quite an exercise, especially living in a city like this. Spiritually I am realizing how weak I am too, as the temptation to rely on my own strength physically is great at times, leading me to forget how much I need to lean into and rely on the Lord. 
    Tonight Psalm 23 really spoke to me in a manner like I hadn't thought of before. My brother was asking me how I was doing and I was telling him how it is hard for me to be so weak and disabled right now and he started encouraging me to know that this time is for a purpose and I can use it to draw closer to God and grow in patience. Then later when I read through Psalm 23 I started thinking how usually I relate to this passage when I am wanting to rest and gladly in a time of rest, but I never really thought about how "the Lord makes me lie down in green pastures."
    I wouldn't say that I am in green pastures right now, but I realize that it isn't about the literal presence of nature during this time of rest but the heavenly provision that He gives to be renewed and strengthened again in His power and strength. Even though I am not necessarily enjoying this time of disability, I am praising the Lord that He didn't let me continue on in my own strength and that He does indeed make me lie down to rest because He is a God of rest, He is my hiding place, He is the fountain from which I will drink to be filled again to continue on in His labors. Yes, "my cup overflows." Thank you Lord for your promises that "goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life."

No comments:

Post a Comment