Pages

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Don't perform, PRAISE.

I just finished about 3 hours of practice with my Mexican brothers for the prayer and worship service (Velada) tomorrow. I'm needing lots of prayer right now because tonight we decided to add 6 more songs, and all of them are Mexican worship songs that I had never heard before, and most of them had chords that I have never played yet in my short time having a guitar. Back at home I would always skip over bar chords or other chords that were too difficult to play, but today during our practice I knew I couldn't tailor songs to myself because it's not about me. I'm here to serve under the leadership of my Mexican brothers and sisters in Christ and learn from them. And boy, did I learn from them tonight. I learned new chords, new strum patterns, and new songs with new Spanish words I had never heard before. I do confess that there were many moments when I was getting caught up in the "performance" aspect of it in getting frustrated with myself for not being able to just move my fingers to the right strings or strum on beat, and I couldn't even get to adding the singing on to playing at the same time. I felt sad and fearful that I am letting my family down because I'm taking so long to get it down. But God is so sweet and at the end one of my brothers just kept saying over and over to me, "No te preocupes! Si se puede!" (Don't worry! You can do it!) I also took my eyes off my own fingers and looked up at my other brother who had been teaching me the whole time and I was so humbled by the gentleness and patience in his eyes. I then started to take a breath and remind myself that we are doing this not to show anyone anything but purely to worship the Lord. And I am showered in blessings with having incredibly musically talented brothers who will lead and patiently teach me, an encouraging sister and roommate who will be standing up there with me tomorrow night, and such a supportive Mama who took us to get pan dulce (sweet bread/pastries) after our hard practice. I'm certainly still nervous, but I am keeping my eyes fixed on Christ because it is to Him that I am singing and playing. No one else. Only him. And I know there is nothing I could ever do that would be fully satisfactory in adequate praise for what Christ has done for me, but even my smallest attempt is better than none and I dont need to get distracted by the technicalities but take this as an opportunity to be emptied of my inabilities and filled with His abilities.
Thank you for the continued prayers. :)
¡Dios te bendiga!

No comments:

Post a Comment